Breakfast Frittata – How to Pack Veggies in at Breakfast
A frittata is an italian omlette that can be filled with meats, vegetables, cheese, just about whatever you want. As I’m trying to add vegetables to my diet in order to drop a few inches and all around eat better I opted to experiment with getting a cup or more of vegetable in my breakfast. The frittata came out great ant is a staple of my heart healthy breakfast regimen.
I’m working on getting more veggies in every meal and this helps out big time for breakfast. Here’s a recipe to get you started.
- 2 Whole Omega-3 Eggs
- 6 Egg Whites
- 1-2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Cups Spinach
- ½ Cup Asparagus, ½″ sliced
- 1 Tomato, diced
- ¼ Cup Onion, diced
- ½ Cup Mushrooms, diced
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt
- 1 Pinch Ground Pepper
- ¼ Cup Low-fat Feta Cheese, crumbled
- Preheat a large non-stick frying pan (with a heat resistant handle, or large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Add Spinach, saute’ for 30 seconds stirring frequently.
- Add all other vegetable ingredients and saute’ for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk egh whites, eggs, salt and pepper together in a mixing bowl.
- Evenly pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in the pan and cook on medium until the top of the egg mixture begins to bubble.
- Spread the cheese over frittata.
- Place the pan in the oven (not in the broiler if separate). Bake until egg is cooked, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, plate and serve.
- Leave a comment to tell us what you thought.