Presto! It’s Home Made Pesto!
I was first introduced to pesto as delicious pasta topping that came in a little green topped plastic container at the grocery store. I hadn’t eaten it for years until I recently began making this delicious low carb Chicken Pesto Pizza at home. After making that recipe a few times with store bought pesto I decided I’d like to take things a step further and eliminate the preserved, store bought pesto and replace it with my own fresh product. The result was learning about even more ingredients in my local produce aisle, and a marked improvement to the pizza taste.
- 3 Cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Cup Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 Cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/2 Cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the nuts in the food processor and pulse a few times to chop
- Add the garlic, and basil.
- Put food processor in “On” position. Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream
- Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula
- Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended
- Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Serve over pasta, on grilled chicken, steak or fish, or especially the Chicken Pesto Pizza mentioned earlier.