13 Foods to Boost Fat Burn
Making better food choices is at the core of our ability to burn more fat doing the the same amount of effort. By replacing some of your existing foods with alternatives from this list you can increase your results, reducing your waistline. Are you ready to go shopping for a smaller size? Follow this and you’ll be on your way!
- Water: Water is KEY to the function of all the systems in your body. It covers about 70% of the planet, and makes up about 70% of your body. Replace: Soda, juice, and other sugary drinks.
- Grilled Chicken Breast: One of the oldest adages is “You are What you Eat.” Losing fat is about getting leaner, and that requires eating lean meat like the community favorite, grilled chicken breast. Replace: Ground meat, fatty cuts of red meat, dark meat poultry.
- Eggs: All eggs are not created equal. Omega-3, Cage free, organic are better choices than the grocery store generic. Experiment with varied ways of preparing your eggs. Drop a couple of the yolks from your morning omelette, or consider trying this delicious fritatta or make one up of your own. Replace: Breakfast cereal, bready snacks.
- Whey or Hemp Protein Powder: Muscle burns fat. In order to build and keep muscle it’s important to eat the raw material it takes to fuel their growth. Whey protein is a derivative of milk, but if that’s not in your diet plans give hemp protein a try. Replace: Snacks. Make a shake as a between meal snack, or replace morning coffee.
- Low-Fat Yogurt: Low-fat yogurt makes a great snack or addition to a meal. I use it often in recipes like indian curries, or as a topper to soup. Try greek yogurt varieties you can find an any grocery store now, which has double the protein of its shelf-mates. Replace: Sugary or bready snacks.
- Greens like Broccoli, Cauliflower, Spinach and Kale:This is what it’s all about! Nutrient dense foods, full of fiber and low caloric density. What does that mean? It means you can beat hunger with a fraction of the calories that a burger or whatever else you were going to eat would add to your belly. Replace: Starches like white rice, corn or bread.
- Beans:Beans are great for getting the calories, dietary fiber, and protein you need all on one shot! If you eat them out of the can, be sure to drain and rinse the beans in order to minimize your chances of playing a malodorous trumpet solo later 😉 Replace: Breads, starches like corn, potatoes, and white rice.
- Low-Fat Cottage Cheese: Low-fat cottage cheese is a great source of calcium, selenium, and protein all of which point to you getting more nutrition in fewer calories. Decrease your hunger with low fat calories that count! Replace: Breakfast cereals, breads.
- Raw Unsalted Nuts and seeds: Raw unsalted peanuts, cashews, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, etc all make great alternatives to sugary or saltier snacks that will cause you to retain fat or water weight. Break the hunger momentum by derailing it with a handful of these. Be careful though, the serving size is only the size of a golfball. Take it easy. Replace: Cookies, crackers, snack bars, granola, candy, etc…
- Hot Peppers: Peppers like jalepenos and chilis make the list for two big reasons. First their appetite limiting power, and second for their ability to help speed up your metabolism. Remove the seeds and dice them up as ready additions to eggs, salads, and just about anywhere else you can tolerate them. Replace: Croutons, and salt.
- Green Tea: Green tea is the bomb in terms of health benefits. Anti-Cancer, metabolism increasing, what else do you need to know??? Get it, make it, drink it. Replace: Soda, juice and other sugary drinks.
- Black Coffee:Three words: Calorie-free caffeine. Ween yourself off of the kiddie drinks (grande mocha latte, carmel blazay-blah) and enlist the fat burning power of the original, black coffee. Replace: Sugary drinks or sugar loaded coffee.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Replace butter, margarine and most other oils from your cabinets. Part of fat loss is making sure your heart is working as effortlessly as possible. That other junk can clog you up. Pick up some EVOO to replace worse fats, but don’t overdo it, fat is still fat.
That’s my list of what works for me. Did I miss anything? What would YOU add?